The Pennytown Freewill Baptist Church, first constructed in 1926, is now the last remaining building on the sixty-four acres once known as Pennytown. A modest, one-room place of worship, the Church was one of many structures which made up the small town, including homes, businesses, and a school. In 1988, the church was saved from eventual disintegration largely due to the efforts of Josephine R. Lawrence, a former resident of Pennytown. Mrs. Lawrence’s dream to renovate the church was realized due to many gifts and many hours of service provided by friends of Pennytown from across the country. Today, the church is cared for by members of the Friends of Pennytown Historic Site and is continually being improved by generous gifts of money, craft, and labor.